Congratulations 2013 AEF™ Arizona Teacher of the Year Nancie Lindblom
The annual Teacher of the Year program is the premier event of the Arizona Educational Foundation (AEF™), a statewide organization that promotes and awards the exceptional efforts being made in Arizona’s public schools.
Ms. Lindblom teaches 11th Grade AP US History at Skyline High School in the Mesa Unified School District.
The 2013 Ambassadors for Excellence
- Becky Cavazos
4th grade teacher at Borton Magnet School, Tucson (Tucson Unified School District)
- Lindsey Connor
7th grade Math teacher at San Tan Elementary School, Gilbert (Higley Unified School District)
- Katrina Herrera
8th grade Special Ed Math teacher at Sierra Middle School, Tucson (Sunnyside Unified School District No. 12)
- José “Chach” Snook
7th and 8th grade Choir and Drama teacher at Flowing Wells Junior High School, Tucson (Flowing Wells Unified School District)
During the luncheon, the 2013 Teacher of the Year, four Ambassadors (runners-up) and five semi-finalists were honored before more than 500 attendees including Arizona educators, elected officials and business leaders. All 10 teachers were invited to march in the Fiesta Bowl Parade.
Executive Director of the AEF, Bobbie O’Boyle stated: “It’s more vital than ever to recognize excellence in education and to honor outstanding educators who are making a difference. Thanks to the support of our partners, we are able to provide this distinguished award for the 30th consecutive year.”
AEF’s Teacher of the Year received a host of awards and recognitions including:
- $ 15,000- cash award
- Represent Arizona as our National Teacher of the Year candidate
- Trip to space camp in Huntsville, Ala.
- Meet the President of the United States
- Full scholarship toward an advanced degree at Argosy University
- Professional speech training
- Is considered by the Arizona Board of Regents to receive an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Northern Arizona University
- Invited to serve as an adjunct professor for one year at NAU
- Receives a SMART®board from SMART Technologies, ULC
- From the Arizona K12 Center, receives a $2,500 scholarship toward National Board Certification; 3 coaching Saturdays; registration at National Board Summer Institute, Assessment Center and Working Retreat
- Receives a “Teacher of the Year” ring from Herff Jones
- Attends a sporting event in Wells Fargo Suite at US Airways Arena or the Ballpark
- Receives a schoolwide ice cream party compliments of Blue Bell Creameries
- Serves for one year as an advocate for the teaching profession by making public appearances statewide, speaking to professional, business, education, civic, parent and student groups
AEF’s Teacher of the Year and four Ambassadors for Excellence serve as spokespersons for their profession, advocating for excellence in the classroom by making presentations statewide to education, civic, government and professional organizations. Each Ambassador receives a $5,000 cash award, professional speech training, and a scholarship from Argosy University for 50 percent of the cost of tuition towards a master’s or doctorate in education.
AEF invites Arizona’s business and professional community to support its Teacher of the Year Program and, in turn, champion the achievements of teachers statewide.