The A+ School of Excellence™ Program is a comprehensive school assessment program that celebrates outstanding schools and brings to light the positive stories and successes happening in public schools every day.
Applications for the 2018 A+ School of Excellence™ Program must be submitted online with the required signature page on or before Friday, January 12, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. Click the link to the right to access the online application and linked signature page.
- Schools submit applications that provide demographic information, a description of current programs and practices, documentation of parent and community involvement, a profile of the school’s leadership and commitment to excellence, equity, service.
- Schools must demonstrate sustained high achievement or significant improvement through assessment data.
- Winning schools are recognized for their superior ability to identify and meet the academic and non-academic needs of their student population.
- The selection panel includes award-winning principals, teachers and community leaders. Panel members conduct pre-arranged site visits to selected schools throughout the state in order to choose A+ School of Excellence™ award winners. Schools that receive site visits are provided with information in advance to prepare for the site visit.
- The school must be a district or charter public school with some combination of grades Pre-Kindergarten through 12.
- School must be rated by the Arizona Department of Education as an “A” or “B” school for the 2016-17 school and demonstrate high student academic achievement or growth over time for all students through other assessments (see questions 34 and 35).
- The school must be in at least its 6th full year of operation in its current (or similar) grade configuaration when the application is submitted.
- The school or school district is not refusing Office of Civil Rights (OCR) access to information necessary to investigate a civil rights complaint or to conduct a district-wide compliance review.
- The OCR has not issued a violation letter of findings to the school district concluding that the nominated school or the district as a whole has violated one or more of the civil rights statutes. A violation letter of findings will not be considered outstanding if OCR has accepted a corrective action plan from the district to remedy the violation.
- The U.S. Department of Justice does not have a pending suit alleging that the nominated school or the school district as a whole has violated one or more of the civil rights statutes or the Constitution’s equal protection clause.
- The school must not have been recognized as an A+ School of Excellence™ in 2015, 2016, or 2017. Previously recognized schools are eligible to reapply for the award after their 3-1/2 year status has expired.
- The school’s principal must have completed at least 3 full years as leader of the applicant school when the application is submitted.
2018 A+ School of Excellence™ Program
- July 2017 – Applications are made available to schools statewide and posted online.
- Friday, January 12, 2018 at 5:00pm – Applications are due to Arizona Educational Foundation.
- Early February (2018) – Schools are selected and notified of site visits.
- February through mid-April (2018) – Site visits are conducted. Note: once a school qualifies, site visit dates will be arranged so that a school can prepare for the site visit team.
- Mid- to late-April (2018) – A+ School of Excellence™ winners are announced.
- The designation and recognition itself can create greater parent and community involvement and confidence in schools that win the award.
- Internally, the process of completing the very comprehensive A+ School of Excellence™ application allows schools to identify and address challenges, generate new support from the community and business partners, increase student and parent pride, validate school programs and accomplishments, and re-energize staff, students, and parents.
- Each school receives $500 and a banner designating it as an A+ School of Excellence™. All staff and faculty at awarded schools are eligible for partial scholarships from Argosy University/Phoenix: 20% for a Master’s degree and 15% for both Undergraduate and Doctoral degrees.
- Schools that earn the A+ School of Excellence™ designation retain their status for a 3 and 1/2 – year period after which time they must reapply for the award.