The Annual Arizona State Spelling Bee is hosted by the Arizona Educational Foundation. Each year, 27 students from across Arizona compete to determine who will represent Arizona in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C.
The 2016 Arizona Spelling Bee will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 19, 2016, at Eight/AZ PBS, 500 N. Central Ave., 6th Floor, Phoenix, AZ 85004.
In order to participate in the 2016 Arizona Spelling Bee, students must attend a school that is enrolled with the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
An Arizona student is eligible to compete if he/she has not passed beyond the eighth grade on or before February 1, 2015, and has not reached his/her 15th birthday before August 31, 2015.
Private, public, charter and home school students may compete. There is no minimum grade or age level at the state or national finals; however, spelling bee officials at the classroom, school, or district level may, at their discretion, set a minimum grade and/or age limit. Click here for more details about the requirements for private, charter, and home school student participation.
2016 Arizona State Spelling Bee
- August 14 to October 15 (2015) – Scripps Early Bird Enrollment Period
- School Fee: $136
- Home school family enrollment: $94.
- October 16 to December 11 (2015) – Extended enrollment period
- School Fee: $211
- Home school family enrollment: $169.
- December 1 to January 15 (2015, 2016) – Schools must hold bees on or before January 15 to be included in the next level of competition.
- School coordinators must contact their district, LEA, Charter Management Organization/CMO, Education Management Organization/EMO, or equivalent education corporation coordinator (if applicable) or county/regional coordinator if the school is not part of a district, LEA, CMO or EMO to make sure the school bee is planned in time for the winner to be included in the next level of competition.
- January 29 (2016) – District/Organizational/LEA/CMO/EMO Bees must be held by this date.
- February 22 (2016) – County and Regional Bees must be held by this date.
- February 29 (2016) – Biography forms from each county/regional winner(s) and a photograph(s) of him/her must be submitted to the Arizona Educational Foundation.
- March 19 (2016) – Arizona State Spelling Bee will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 19, 2016, at Eight/AZ PBS, 500 N. Central Ave., 6th Floor, Phoenix, AZ 85004.
- Late May or Early June (2016) – Scripps National Spelling Bee will be held in Washington, DC.