The Polly Rosenbaum Writing Contest is named for Polly Rosenbaum, a former Arizona State Representative and teacher who passed away in 2003 at the age of 104. This writing contest is a long-standing tradition honoring Mrs. Rosenbaum, who believed Arizona’s young people are the state’s greatest resource.
Each year the Arizona Educational Foundation establishes a theme for the contest.
The 2017 prompt was: “If you were President of the United States, what would be your top issue and how would you address it?”
The creative writing contest is open to students in grades 7 through 12. Entries are judged in three categories: 7th/8th Grade; 9th/10th Grade; and 11th/12th Grade.
The 2017 Polly Rosenbaum Creative Writing Contest will reopen for submissions in October, 2017.
2018 Polly Rosenbaum Writing Contest
- October 2017 – Applications are made available to schools statewide via email. The application will be posted here when available.
- January 2018 – Educators and businesses leaders judge each entry on the following criteria: proper grammar and word usage; relevance to the established theme; creativity; and effective use of the 6-trait writing rubric. Participating students and teachers are communicated their scores.
- Statehood Day in February 2018 – First, second and third place winners in each of the three age categories are invited for lunch and a ceremony on Statehood Day at the State Capitol in Phoenix. They receive an award certificate and are invited to read their winning essays aloud.
- State Board of Education Meeting in February 2018 – First, second and third place winners in each of the three age categories are invited to be honored and celebrated at the State Board of Education’s February board meeting in Phoenix.
- Every participant receives a letter of commendation.
- First, second and third place winners in each of the three age categories are invited for lunch and a ceremony in February on Statehood Day at the State Capitol in Phoenix. Winners are also invited to be honored at the February State Board of Education meeting.
- First, second and third place winners receive an award certificate and the first place winners receive a $50 Amazon gift certificate; second place winners receive a $25 Amazon gift certificate and third place winners receive a $15 Amazon gift certificate.