The Take Your Legislator to School program is an annual collaborative initiative lasting the entire month of September. This initiative is spearheaded by the Arizona Educational Foundation and supported by two local Arizona partners: Arizona Education Association, and Arizona K12 Center.
Teachers invite local state legislators to spend a full day at their school to facilitate meaningful conversation between policy makers and educators and give state legislators an intimate look at the day-to-day realities of public schools in Arizona.
2017 Take Your Legislator to School
- Summer (2017) – Training session for interested teachers.
- August (2017) – AEF and local partners invite legislators to schedule a time in September to shadow a teacher host in their district.
- September (2017) – Take Your Legislator to School Month
EXAMPLE VISITS IN SEPTEMBER
- Meet and Greet
- Student-led school tour
- Observation of a lesson
- Legislator teaches a lesson (history or civics)
- Visits to other classrooms
- Q and A session with chosen students and pre-selected questions
- Conclude the day with positive reflections and next steps
To learn more about how you can get involved, please contact the AEF team at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Take Your Legislator to School Interest” in the subject line.